Home Page

SEN Information

SEN Information Report


What kinds of needs can be supported at our school?


Children with a range of needs are supported at our school and we make our best efforts to ensure that every child in our school makes good progress and is well prepared for High School. All child who attend our ARP class have a statement/EHCP. 


At Drayton Green Primary School we also have an Additionally Resourced Provision that has 21 places for children with Complex Learning Difficulties; this includes ASD, MLD & SLD.  These are children who need additional support as well as support in the mainstream classes. The description of which children are best suited to use this provision can be found in the

Ealing Local Offer


Occasionally we will commission other professionals to help us meet an individual child’s needs in school or we may need to recruit staff or buy specialist equipment in order to support a child with SEN.


 In a situation where one of our children requires more specialist provision we will advise accordingly, however as a school we do not have the power to make this decision. It would be a decision made by parents and the child or young person with SEN, with advice from the professional involved, usually within an Education, Health and Care plan meeting. This decision would be recorded in an Education, Health and Care Plan.


2. How are children’s needs identified?

At Drayton Green Primary school we assess all children, whether they have an identified special educational need or not, throughout their school life. This helps us ensure all children settle in well and feel happy and confident in school and make good progress in their lessons. If we feel that a child might have a Special Educational Need then a meeting with parents and class teacher (and the child if appropriate) will always be arranged to investigate the needs further before the child is classed as having a SEN.


Children and young people with statements of SEN or EHC who meet the criteria described in our Entry Criteria.  Robust evidence that a child or young person’s needs are not being met in the mainstream or special school placement is needed prior to admission. Admission is coordinated by the SEN Assessment Team at Carmelita House, 21-22 The Mall, Ealing , London W5 2PJ.


How are children’s needs identified before they start at our school?


Parent information meetings for Foundation Stage Pupils

These are held for new parents in the autumn term, a few days before your child starts our school. On entry to our Nursery or Reception classes (for children aged between 3 and 5 years) members of the Foundation Stage team like to meet all our children and families at their home. These meetings help us to work with parents and children to identify the needs of the child in a familiar environment before they come to school. We can then plan together to help your child settle into school life happily and become successful learners. Additionally Resourced Provision (ARP) staff will carry out a home visit before your child starts at Drayton Green Primary.

If you have attended a different school


If you believe that your child has a Special Education Need that has not been previously identified by your child’s current school then please inform us of your concerns. Please let us know any information about your child’s needs or any other documentation from other professionals like health or Speech and Language. We will then arrange a time to follow this up with you and your child later. (Please see sections on working with parents and pupils) ARP staff will carry out a home visit before your child starts at Drayton Green Primary ARP.


Work with previous schools or educational settings

All school records are passed on to us and the Inclusion Team & SENCo look at them carefully. If we feel there is a child with SEN who will be moving to our school the Inclusion Team or ARP Leader will contact the primary school to get further information.


How are children’s needs identified whilst children are at our school?

At Drayton Green Primary school we want all our children to be happy, confident and feel they are learning successfully. Our children can tell members of staff of any concerns or worries and be confident that they will be listened to. Issues can also be raised through the following strategies:


If a child is concerned:

  • Circle time
  • Worry boxes – boxes where children can place notes to the teacher with their concerns
  • Feedback in books – children can write notes in their books for the teacher to see when they mark
  • ‘Space’ provided by school counselling service
  • Friendship Groups


If a Parent is concerned:

Talking to the teacher - Open door policy

We feel that working in partnership with all parents leads to the happiest children and the best education. If at any time you are concerned about your child please arrange an appointment with your child’s class teacher as soon as possible in order to discuss them. If, after further investigation, we believe that your child may have some special education needs then we will always arrange a meeting with you in order to identify these needs further and develop ways to support your child.

Parent consultation evenings

We hold 3 parent consultations per year to discuss the progress of all our pupils. Please use these meetings to voice any concerns you may have. We often extend the time of these meetings for parents of children in the ARP so that we have more time to discuss the needs of each child and the effectiveness of the support in place.

Teacher assessments

All pupils’ progress and achievement is assessed by teachers in every lesson. Academic achievement and progress information is collected for each pupil, usually termly, in order to ensure that all pupils are making good progress and will achieve their targets. If a child is not making progress then further investigations will be made to ensure that the school is meeting their needs. If after further investigation the school believes your child may have Special Educational Needs then we will arrange a meeting with you and if appropriate your child too, to identify these needs further and plan support. 


Other information that may be used to identify pupil needs

  • Teachers are involved in termly Inclusion Surgeries; these are detailed discussions about any barriers to children learning and to eradicate them
  • Analysis of behaviour logs
  • Reports from health professionals
  • Evaluation of interventions
  • Pupil Progress meetings


During a review of progress against SEN desired outcomes

If your child has already had some Special Educational Needs identified then a plan to support them to reach certain outcomes should have already been put in place either by our school, through and Provision Map or Statement (EHC) plan or your child’s previous school or Nursery.

The success of this plan in meeting their needs and ensuring they make progress should be reviewed at least termly. This process really helps to ensure that everyone involved in supporting the child really understands their needs; if needed interpreters could be provided.

3. How do we work in partnership with parents of children with SEN?

We try and work closely with all our parents to ensure that all pupils are happy and make progress. Working in partnership with parents of children with SEN is even more important so we do the following things:

  • Communicate regularly and informally through home school link books and/ or phone calls and letters and quick informal chats at the beginning and/or end of the school days as and when needed.
  • Parents can arrange to see the class teachers and SENCo when they are concerned and would like a longer discussion.
  • The termly parents meetings to discuss the identification of a child’s needs and the desired outcomes that we are all working towards can be decided upon.
  • Issue detailed annual reports (February 2014).
  • Handover meetings that outline pupils needs and how they are best supported.
  • For any child with a Statement/EHC plan and for some children with more complex SEN the school will work with parents and children to draw up a “one page profile” that describes a child’s needs and how they like to be supported so that it can be communicated quickly and easily to members of staff.
  • Provide parents with a copy of the desired outcomes (statemented children only) agreed for their child and the strategies and interventions set up in school to help them achieve them.
  • Hold an Annual Review for any child with an EHC plan/Statement.

4. How do we enable children with SEN to make decisions about their education?


All children are expected to evaluate their own learning success and discuss their needs with their teacher. We do this in school through

  • asking questions in lessons
  • asking questions in books
  • target setting days
  • write a comment in Spring term report


ARP provides visual resources to enable this i.e. communicate in print programme and photographs.


Children with SEN support

In addition, children with SEN support have a plan that outlines the support needed to achieve additional agreed outcomes to help them become better prepared for adulthood. These outcomes are decided with pupils and with parents during our target setting days. The outcomes and the additional support needed to help the children achieve them are recorded termly as a plan on our school provision map. A date for reviewing the success of these plans will be set and should happen at least termly (usually in extended target setting day meetings). Please make sure that you come to the meeting as this is the best way we can work together with you. If you need help to get to the meeting, or you need someone to help you (e.g. a translator) then we can try to arrange that too if you give us some notice.


Children with an EHC plan or statement

In addition to termly review meetings we also hold an Annual Review meeting. We work with the parents and pupil to invite all the people needed in order to review the progress made against the outcomes in the EHC plan. We aim to include the children’s views in this meeting in as appropriate a way as possible. Staff work with pupils and parents to develop an up to date one page profile that is presented to the meeting at the beginning of any discussion, this is called a Person Centred Plan. This will include any information that the child wishes to share with the adults’ involved and important information about their happiness and aims in life. Children can attend the whole of the Annual Review meeting if they wish – or just state their views.


5. How do we help children when they move to another school?

Whenever any child moves to another school we always pass on school records to the new school.

If a child has SEN we also:

  • Pass on SEN records to the new school including SEN support plans, or EHC plans and “one page profiles” drawn up.
  • Liaise with the SENCo/ year group leader of the new school to clarify any information necessary,
  • If needed we can include ways to support a child to have a settled move to a new school through their SEN support plan or EHC plan. For example we may organise some extra visits to the school or do some work to help prepare them for the transition.
  • We invite the new school to the last annual review of a child with an EHC plan and a transition plan can be set up as part of this meeting.


6. How do we help children when they move into a new year /or phases of education?

When moving to a new year group:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher (this may include the ARP Leader)


7. How are adaptations made to the school to help children with SEN?

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.


Drayton Green Primary has an on-site Speech and Language Therapist and Occupational Therapist to work with the ARP pupils (one day a week).  In addition Play therapy is available for children with Social, Emotional and Mental health needs.

8. What skills and training do the Drayton Green staff have?


 Mrs K Doherty Headteacher is the school SENCo. She can be contacted on 020 89972307

All teaching staff

Are trained in the requirements of:

The SEN code of practice

All have QTS

All general school policies/ training on teaching and learning and behaviour management include information on how to include children with SEN

Teaching Assistants

We have a variety of skill in our teaching assistants depending on their job. All have a minimum of level 2 NVQ.

All TA’s have had training in the following areas:

Reading, Writing & Maths support

Some have training in:

  • SLT (Speech and Language Therapy) programmes
  • OT(Occupational Therapy) programmes
  • Behaviour & Social Skills

9. What do I do if I am concerned about the quality or effectiveness of support my child is getting?


If at any time you are worried about your child then it is important to contact the school and discuss this so that any issues can be sorted out. We take your concerns very seriously and will do everything we can to resolve them.

The first person to contact would be your child’s class teacher.

If you still feel concerned then please contact the Inclusion Team to discuss your concerns. We would expect any problems to be resolved after this.

However, if you still feel that your concerns have not been addressed please contact the Head teacher. An appointment can be made via the school office

Welcome to Drayton Green Primary School .......................................................... Check our newsletters and class pages for the latest news ......................................